Friday, May 22, 2009

"Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans"

That title sums it all up. I'm on day 7 of my adventure and I've been set back 100 miles. While I was busy keeping on/ahead of schedule, my bike had other plans. As it turns out I am the mercy of the bike--not the other way around. But I'll save that part for last, first a recap of the past week.

Day 1:
Newark-Houston
Houston-El paso
El paso-Deming NM

Lot of traveling, lot of sitting around. I was afraid Continental would lose my luggage including the bike, something which would have put me in a difficult spot, but somehow, I received all my luggage. Stayed at a motel in Deming and went to Walmart to buy some supplies. On my first day I managed to get a flat. After fixing the flat, I managed to blow out the valve of the inner tube while re-inflating the tire. Inner tubes left: 2

Day 2:
Demming NM-Somewhere outside Hanover NM~50 miles

Rode up 180 to Silver City to rejoin the divide trail. Lots of desert, very warm, road was pretty flat. I guzzled gatorade like it was my job because it was so hot. However by nightfall the storm clouds had moved in and I was forced to stop riding when the rain and thunder began. Setting up the tent under the pouring rain was anything but fun but I managed to do it relatively quickly considering it was my first time. Sleeping was something entirely different as 1.water was seeping in the bottom of the sleeping bag 2. I had to contort my body like a question mark as the tent was set up on an uneven rock. All in all, I got 5 hours of sleep

Day 3:
Somewhere outside Hanover NM-Diamond Creek~55 miles

Started riding on the trail today, its mostly dirt roads save for a few paved roads. Made a quick stop outside Nimbres in the morning and then entered Gila national forest where I saw a sign that said "No services next 120 miles" good thing I had filled up on water in Nimbres. I was a little unsure about my food supply and whether or not I would have enough for the next 120 miles but I soldiered on anyways. I got caught in a massive hailstorm that afternoon which rendered the roads muddy beyond belief. For a good hour I had no choice but the push the bike. It was impossible to get any traction let alone clip in the pedals as my shoes were covered with 2" of mud. Towards 4-5pm it got better as I reached an area that hadn't been hailed on, I was finally able to ride well again in the steep but scenic hills of rocky canyon, black canyon ending at the dried bed of Diamond creek (all the 'rivers' I pass are dry beds, making it impossible to get water, black canyon was the only exception) I set up camp under a clear sky and went to sleep at sunset

Day 4
Diamond Creek-Plains of San Augustin~60 miles

Some steep climbing in the morning. I was able to refill my bottles at some ranch in the morning. Towards the afternoon I left the dry pine forest and headed into a high mountain plateau, which was a long steady climb to 7,500'. The weather was good all day which was great, towards the evening I had a nice long descent in the Plains of San Augustin and was able to knock out 25 miles in a little more than 2 hours. It was a little strange leaving the mountains and descending into literal nothingness, there is ABSOLUTELY nothing in the plains. Big problem is food, by nightfall I only had 2,000 calories of oatmeal left, and judging I go through 5,000 a day, that would give me problems on day 5.

Day 5
Plains of San Augustin-Outside Pie Town~70 miles

I woke up knowing I had to make it to Pie Town, I seriously needed to buy some food. I was able to refill my bottles at a Ranch in the Plains in the morning, Climbed to about 8,200' by 1pm and then had a nice descent and flat roads to Pie Town. Pie Town, btw, is famous for it Pie and its Pie-o-Neer Cafe, which I was hoping I could stop at upon arriving. On my map, it did state that hours where limited but since I was planning on getting to Pie Town around 5 pm I thought to myself 'what respectable place closes by 5 pm' . Turns out the Cafe operates Thursday-Sunday from 8-3pm, sweet deal. I was able to find a general store outside the town where I refilled on food. With everything in Pie Town being closed, I refilled on water at the public park and rode on for another 20 miles before setting up camp.

Day 6
Pie Town NM-Grants NM~70 miles

Rode through nothingness all day, I must have stayed on county road 41 for about 40 miles, some sections seemed to go on forever. Rode 30 miles through el Malpeis national monument which was a little daunting since I did not have any reference point for 30 miles. I had no way of knowing whether or not I was on the right road, and if I did lose my way, I would have no way to seek help, get water or food. Its a little scary when you put it like that, but I rode on, re-assuring myself I was on the right path "Blind faith" I call it. Sure enough after 4 hours I came to the intersection I was supposed to. the Blind faith worked, at least this time. Upon nearing Grants I noticed my tires were getting a little soft, so I broke out the pump to re-pump the front one. After a sharp "POP" I realized that I had again blown the valve, inner tubes left:1. The back tire was a little flat too, but I decided 'If it ain't broke don't fix it' afraid I would pop that valve too. I rode down the Grant which was great, considering the last 15 miles were all downhill through a nice scenic Canyon. Camped out at an RV park which was great because I was able to take my first shower it 4 days. Before the shower I couldn't tell if my legs were brown from being tan or muddy. Turns out they were just muddy, mud makes excellent sunscreen.

Day 7
Grants NM-Somewhere NM~70 miles

Woke up with a flat backtire. Upon closer inspection, it had been punctured right near the valve; impossible to patch. Inner Tubes left: 0. This was not good. Not good at all. I can patch tires when they get flat; but if I get a blowout--what am I to do? I went to the Wal-Mart in town to check if they had any inner tubes. However my bike being a 29" mountain bike they didn't have any tubes that fit. When I got the bike, the guy at the store said "any specialty bike store will have 29" tubes". Great, this is New Mexico, I'm lucky if I can find a store to buy food and water, let alone specialty bike tires. Wal-Mart didn't have them, but I rode on anyways. Rode up into the hills of San Mateo and Crested at 9,200'. That was a 20 mile climb, and I started at about 6,600'. The 20 mile climb was also in the pouring rain, which I guess wasn't too bad because it was a lot more manageable that way. It was followed by a 10 mile descent which was really, really cold. After passing through the mountain, I once again rode through a plain of nothingness. Turns out the place was a surface coal mine. I realized this when I saw a sign that said "Danger, live Explosions, listen for the sirens". Now I know why on the map the put it bold, no tresspassing through this part of the trail. The plains were a little difficult to navigate, being that there were no signs on the dirt roads, I had to do this entirely on a sense of direction, and by pulling out the compass more that a few times. By nightfall I had a big worry, only 2.5 liters of water left (somedays I go through 5 liters), no civilization around and a questionable spring (one that might very well be dried up in 10 miles). With this in mind, I slept uneasily.

Day 8
Somewhere-Cuba NM~70 miles
Cuba-Albuquerque

I woke up and packed up camp by 7 am, with one goal in mind, find water ASAP. First I made sure I was on the right path on the map. Which I was. Then I rode as fast as possible towards Ojo Frio Spring which thankfully was flowing. The water was a little questionable but at least I could fill up. Filled up to capacity and rode towards Cuba. With no road signs I got lost, this wasn't a big problem as I found my way to a main road and then rode towards Cuba. It tacked on an extra 10 miles but that was the least of my problems. For the better part of the morning and the afternoon, I rode through a driving wind and a pouring rain. On slight downhills where I usually average 12-14 mph I was hitting 6 mph. Also, I had the constant feat, what happens if I get a blowout? there is no civilization anywhere, I can ride 40 miles easily, but 40 miles would take at least 1.5 days on foot. I arrived in Cuba at 4pm, it was still raining, ate a hot meal for the first time in a week and then decided against riding into the mountains without any spare inner tubes, so I tried my luck at hitchhiking, and before I knew it, this really nice family gave me a ride 70 miles down the road to Albuquerque where there is 1. civilization and 2. bike shops. It is 100 miles off route, but, I can't afford bike breakdowns in the middle of nowhere. I can only ride as long as my bike is in good condition, and for that reason, I had to take a detour to Albuquerque.

Things I've learned:

1. Fill up on water whenever you can. There has been several times I've been really worried about running out of water. There are rivers on the map, but 95% of them are dry, meaning its impossible to fill up. Thankfully the days where I've been near no civilization/water sources have been cold and overcast which means I didn't have to guzzle on water like I would if it was hot. I know I can function on an empty stomach, but funtioning without water is impossible. If I can't function when there is nothing else around, including cell reception...you can guess the rest.

2. Pop Tarts are life savers. Cheap, Full of Calories, easy to carry, not too bad tasting. What else could you want when you consume calories by the thousands. Cookies and Creme is the best flavor.

3. Gatorade energizes you 5x better than water. After a day of drinking only water I felt waaayyyy too drained. Gatorade works.

4. People are always willing to help. Whether it was one couple giving me a bottle of Ice Tea in Gila national forest when all I wanted was directions, to farmers offering me rides to the main road thinking I was lost to a family giving me a 80 mile ride to Albuquerque, people love to help. I haven't been turned down once when I went up to a house and asked if I could refill my bottles.

Till my next post

Happy Trails,

Clem

1 comment:

  1. classic story of innocent family picking up a serial kiler

    ReplyDelete