Sunday, May 31, 2009

Don't get used to this

2 posts in a matter of days!--don't get used to this

I was planning on camping out again tonight; usually I can last 4-5 days camping without any amenities, but today was something different.

I woke up this morning right outside Hartsel. The weather was beautiful, sunny and warm. As I got prepared to ride, I even stowed away the raincoat and put on some sunscreen. The sunny weather held out till about 2 pm. Then, the rain started falling--and it did not stop. Right when I got to Como (the only reason its considered a town is because it has a post office) it started raining. It rained the entire way up to Boreas pass; which was 12 miles and 1,500 ft elevation change. Though the temperature and the rain both fell the entire way up--and at the top the rain had turned into snow; the climb itself wasn't bad. It was long and gradual and the effort kept me warm. The descent into Breckenridge however was something else. Since gravity was doing the work for me, the only way to warm up was to put more clothes on; which I did. However the ubiquitous rain soaked pretty much everything I put on, because as I found out, nothing can be entirely waterproof. With my clothes soaked, the constant rain and the temperature staying around 38 degrees, the descent was anything but fun. When I finally pulled in to Breckenridge 10 miles and 45 minutes later, I was pretty cold to say the least. And the rain kept on falling. At that point the very idea of camping out made me even colder. I wanted a shower and I wanted to be dry...so I checked in the Fireside inn. A nice hostel in Breckenridge which only costs 28 a night, something to consider if you're ever in this part of the country. Right now it feels like heaven. And I'm saying that because, yes, the rain is still falling outside.

And now on to something other than complaining, and hopefully more entretaining.

Top 10 signs you're in Rural America

1.Almost everyone drives a pickup truck
2.Fishing, Hunting and ATV'ing are considered sports
3.No one goes camping without an RV
4.Roadsigns are routinely riddled with bullet holes
5.Every road you go on has beer bottles/cans on the side. If you can't spot any, you're clearly not looking hard enough.
6.Gas stations might as well be considered supermarkets.
7.To be considered a town, you must have a post office.
8.Cities are towns with traffic lights.
9.The main employers are Gas Stations, Wal-Mart & McDonalds.
10.There still is such a thing as public land.

Extra:
People generally have no reservations in helping you out

1 comment: